Skip to main content

Hope and Christmas

So, each year I pick out an ornament for each of the kids and one as a "family" ornament.  Most of the time, I try to find something that has to do with what we have done or something that speaks to me about this past year.  I really have not tried to even find one this year because it has been just kind of weird this year.  Today, I was shopping for something else and found the *perfect ornament.  Through all the ups and downs of this past year, I have been able to find that even keel, that peace that only comes from God.  How?  Today, I was listening to Adam Robinson, and his sermon reminded me of the how --- Hope.  Hope that only comes from knowing that the God of this universe, creator of all and lover of My Soul, still holds me and my family in His hand.  Hope that knows that He sees all and holds me through the hard times and promises never to leave me.  Hope that the promises of Heaven that were brought originally in the form of a tiny baby over 2000 years ago apply to me and my life and my future as well as to my family's future because they have all placed their faith in that tiny baby, Immanuel, God With Us.  He left all of the glory of heaven to willingly come and live a perfect life, and then be killed a horrible death to save me, to redeem me, to purchase my salvation for me -- to give me that HOPE.


PS -- I had a lot of "easy" subbing days, and I have been reading a LOT!  Quick and Easy reads from Love Inspired!  LOL  The book on the side is one of the ones I read this week, and it was fabulous!  All of the December offerings have been great!  KUDOS to those authors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strange few days...

The Cocktail and Dinner Party was fun.  (See pic at bottom of note.)  The location was very nice, and it was great to get a free dinner with my DH.  He even....gasp.....danced with me!  Granted, it was one dance, but it was so sweet to be in his arms like that again.  The music was only "okay" so I really didn't push for more dances than that one, and I didn't have to push too hard for that one! The day ended on a sad note with my oldest deciding (after getting mad) that he was moving out.  Needless to say, the next day was not a super-happy day.  In many ways, we are ready for him to move out! Not in that way, though, before he had all his ducks in a row.  I was sad and a little scared for him, but for now, he is staying somewhere safe so I am trying to be at peace with that. Sunday, DH and I had a hard time, and the three younger kids were all a little freaked out -- just didn't know what to think about the oldest leaving.  Then, I had to get over it because

Are we willing to give it all as parents?

So I was driving today, and I heard this song that Matt Hammitt from the band, Sanctus Real, wrote.   He wrote it as a tribute and promise to his unborn child who they knew was going to born with a heart defect, but as I listened, it spoke to me in another way.  As humans, we all have problems and weaknesses.  As Christian parents, when our kids (especially teenagers) begin to show their, let's just say, not-so-nice side, we have to decide how we're going to respond. Sometimes the way our teenagers act bring out the not-so-nice side in us, too.  Discipline is necessary in parenting no matter what form it takes, but what do we do with our hearts?  What do we do when our children disappoint us, make us angry, even go through spells when we may not even <gasp> like them very much?  How do we handle it?  Sadly, we tend to hold our hearts back.  We fall into a form of conditional love without even realizing it.  Our kids let us down or don't do what we think they should

A little on the light side

So, tonight the DH (darling husband) and I are going to a "Cocktail Attire" event. Of course, as any good woman knows, I didn't have anything to wear so I've been shopping a tiny bit. Looking for something that looks good, but not obscene. Something that looks like something a 40-something should wear and not a 20-something. Shoes that I can actually stand and possible dance in. And of course, something that doesn't add to our debt. Shopping for this event has not been easy.....and dare I say it? It has not been fun. Fact one -- women my age who want to still look really cool and gorgeous, but also modest, do not have very many options in the cocktail dress department; add 50 pounds overweight and the choices decrease exponentially. Fact two -- bad back plus a knee that has been acting up for over a week equals very slim choices in the cute shoe department also. I put these gorgeous 3" heals on, and immediately, my right knee is aching. Really? Really?